Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Thoughts on the Feminist Movement

I believe that women have been very strong over the years as they gained their respect and rights. It has taken them many years and along the way it must have been hard. At times I believe that their dreams of being equal must have been hard to hold onto. Like in the poem “Harlem”, by Langston Hughes, many of the women must have given up at times, forgetting about their dreams, letting them “dry up / Like a raisin in the sun” (2-3). At times, some women may have completely forgotten about their dream of one day being equal to men. However, through hard work these women picked themselves up, recovered their dreams, and persevered. Even though I believe that overall the Feminist Movement has been a great thing, there are still a few ideas that I disagree with. These include some all boys’ schools not being allowed and girls joining boy scouts. It is great having boys and girls mixed in what they do during their everyday life; however these things like boy scouts are times when guys can just hang out with guys. It is good for women to be equal with men, but that does not mean boys and girls should be mixed in everything they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment